Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Misery, sweet misery

I. Am. Miserable.

Though I would love to blame my current case of the grumpies on my husband's excessive gassiness this evening, he is not to blame, though his foul stench is not helping ease my mood. Maybe I should just stop feeding him.

My crankiness is mainly due to my unhappiness with our current housing situation. Until today, I thought I could manage. I was prepared to be strong, suck it up, and savour these days as our 'trying times'....you know, the time in your life you look back on as character-building and all that crap. (well, its not crap, but I'm Miss Frowny-Face right now, a'ight?).

The last time I felt this glum, I downed my sorrows in a nice tall glass of orange juice and vodka, heavy on the vodka. I'm currently a breastfeeding mom, so that isn't an option. I have instead decided to gas myself silly by sitting downwind of my husband's toushy.

So...I hate my carriage-house/hastily-constructed part-garage/insect-infested house of horrors. I could manage to overlook the lack of a dishwasher, which has been taking hours of my precious writing time each day as I try to get all of the dishes done (seriously, where do they all come from?!), or the lack of any storage space whatsoever. I've tried hard to ignore the constant musty, moldy smell upstairs and the impossible task of keeping the floors clean because our front door opens right into the living room/kitchen area(s).

BUT. NOT. THE. SPIDERS.

Fighting the little ones for control of the kitchen every day is one thing (crawling across the stove, making webs from counters to the piles of dishes, making webs in the broom closet, making webs in every corner, playing tag on the stairs, making webs in my shoes) but the bigger ones have decided that 'tis the season to invade the Guillemette household and I'M HAVING NONE OF THAT!

#$%& you, spiders! I'm the freakin' spider-Grinch and I had no sympathy for Charlotte's Web.

Thus, I have decided, we are moving. I don't know where. I don't know if we can afford it. I don't care. I can't even open my front door anymore without the extremely bold ones dashing in, unannounced, a little smirk on the smug faces as they shriek in their little spider voices, "Catch me if you can, red!"

I'll squish you with a garbage can, I will. Of course, then I will spend several hours fighting off the anxiety attacks and tears and frantically scanning every square inch of my home for vengeful relatives.

For all of you who think I'm being dramatic and have that wonderful advice, "Just get over it," I tell you -- I wish. Do you think I like being subject to such a ridiculous phobia? Yes, they are a one-thousandth of my size. Yes, they are harmless. Yes, they are just as afraid of me as I am of them. If this were easy to accept, wouldn't I have done so?

Phobia = irrational fear

Guillemette family = looking for affordable, spider-free home

5 comments:

Melissa Hurst said...

I feel your pain. We live in the middle of a field and spiders are everywhere. No matter what I do, they manage to get in the house. *sigh* Wish I could move, too.

Deedee said...

Hi Lisa! I contend with beetles. At least they can't crawl into bed with me, I suppose. Hope you can find a new place!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh no!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Have you thought of buying spider traps? They are little cardboard thingies you put against the wall and they are sticky on the inside bottom. The spiders get stuck in there and die instead of crawling all of your house forever. Hope you can find a new place! That just does not sound fun. :(

Lisa Guill said...

Melissa - We are comrades in our misery! I like the idea of living out in the middle of a field, but I guess creepy crawly things would definitely try and get in the house. My husband doesn't want to move, so I might be stuck here :(

Deedee - Beetles, yikes! I don't mind the small ones, but they are also pretty yucky too. We're getting some of those as well, and lots of earwigs. I guess I'm not a country-living kind of girl.

Michelle - Someone was just telling me about those the other day. I never knew such a thing existed until now. If we don't move, I guess that might be my only option to keep my sanity. Hopefully they work!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

They do work. :) My parents use them in their basement.