Friday, August 27, 2010

Taking a risk even when you are scared silly

I think sometimes you just have to do it. Take a risk. Attempt the improbable. Fight the statistics.

For most of us, life is about working a job that we don't really care for but need to do to pay the bills. Inside we dream of doing something we really love, something that thrills us, delights us, makes this crazy world just a little more enjoyable.

We spend so much time dreaming about the what if's that I think it becomes easier to let our dreams stay dreams. Then they stay perfect, untarnished by reality and by the possibility of rejection and defeat. What happens if you take a risk, try to put yourself out there and then fail miserably? What do you have to look forward to then?

My husband is a singer/songwriter and has been dreaming about recording his original songs for quite a few years now. This year we decided to make this dream a reality. He is nearing the end of his twenties and as we start a family, we both know that if we don't make the effort now, it may never happen. I don't want him to be sixty and grumbling about that record that he never ended up making.

Now that we are only two weeks away from his studio time, the realization that he will actually be accomplishing a life-long goal seems to be a bit overwhelming. I've had to encourage him not to cancel the recording almost every day. You see, he keeps doubting himself. He doubts his ability. He questions why we are taking such a financial risk when we are already facing a bit of debt. He is afraid.

I told him this: You have to do it NOW. You have to TRY. The small financial risk is really nothing when compared to the opportunity to show a beautiful part of your self, your talents to the world.

And that is the truth. He writes beautiful music. What a pity it would be to keep that hidden.

There comes a point in our lives where we need to take a risk. How else are great things accomplished? It is important to believe in yourself, to see your talents as having a purpose, because without the beauty of art and self-expression, this world would be so incredibly bland and boring.

Delight in the passion that thrives within you. And if you get the opportunity to share that with others, do so. It is inspiring. It is beautiful. It balances out the tragedy and sorrow of this world.

4 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this post and I love what you have to share here. Huge kudos to you and your husband for making those dreams a reality! I did this by self-publishing my novella, and although I've gone through a heck of a time fighting off the stigmas and negativity towards self-publishing in this writerly blogland, I am so happy with my choice. I created something beautiful and professional and I put it out there. I love that I got it out there and accomplished a dream. I'm bookmarking this post. It's something I need to read every now and then. :0)

Lisa Guill said...

Awww, thanks Michelle! I'm so glad that you found this post encouraging :)

I absolutely love that you self-published your novella (which I just finished reading and found to be incredibly well written and an addictive read from start to finish), and that gives me courage to hopefully do the same some day. I am looking forward to your posts on self-publishing over at the Literary Lab blog.

As soon as the recording is finished, I'll post links to my husbands Myspace music page.

So exciting!!!!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear your husband's work!!! And thanks for your kind words about Cinders. I'm thrilled that you read it!

A misinterpreted wave said...

Mr. Holland's Opus.

So many people find it so complimentary of teachers, which, as a teacher I love.

But ... as a teacher who also writes I see another lesson - don't be Mr. Holland. Don't let life happen without you.

Good luck with the plunge :)