Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Goosebump Factor

Recently I discovered the goodness that is Paul McCartney. I've never been very familiar with his music or the music of the Beatles, and after my husband bought a dvd of a Paul McCartney concert a few days ago, I've since been listening to it nonstop. I REALLY love his voice. Not only can he sing exceptionally well, but he really knows how to let loose, and whenever I hear someone giving their full power in a song, I get goosebumps (so long as they actually hit the notes).

Goosebumps are cool. I'm not talking about the scary movie goosebumps, but the 'OhmygoodnessthatwassoamazingthatIheldmybreaththeentiretime!' goosebumps, of when the artist has captured your full attention and you cannot look away, or if you do, it is to close your eyes to listen and feel the intensity permeate every cell in your body.

About six years ago I attended a Sarah Brightman concert and though the experience was enjoyable, I also found it to be a bit frustrating. For those of you who are not familiar with her, Sarah Brightman is an opera singer and she has this delicate, soothing voice that is great for bubble baths and relaxing drives. While at the concert, I found myself getting a bit tense. I realized that what I really wanted was to hear her belt out a song, or even a few notes. She was so restrained in her singing and though it was beautiful, I NEEDED to hear her let loose and sing with her full power. Thank goodness she finally did and I was able to relax. Why was this? I'm not sure. It could just be my musical preference (I happen to like a lot of singers who really belt it out) or it could have been a desire to know that she was capable of singing with power, of giving me goosebumps.

Not all great singers/writers/artists of sort give us goosebumps, because you don't have to feel the tingles to enjoy someone's work, BUT when that work sends the tingles through your body, you know you are hooked. They have grabbed your attention and maybe made you stop breathing for a second, and THAT is powerful stuff.

What do you think the key is? I think it is not being afraid to push your talent to the limit. It is easy to play it safe, because when you step out of the realm of comfort and safe, you become vulnerable--what if my voice cracks when I try to hit that high note?!--but when you explore the depths of your talent, that vulnerability becomes power. I think that the ones who are truly great at what they do have not been afraid to give their all, even if it takes hard work and practice, and even if they don't always first succeed. Raw talent is precious and it should not be hidden.

So belt it out! Give your all! Seek to shock and awe!! In whatever your do, whether in music or writing or other arts, or in any other aspect of your life, be beyond mediocre, beyond simply enjoyable. That is my goal. It is a hard one, but for those that succeed, the feeling of accomplishment must be great.

3 comments:

Melissa Hurst said...

Very well said. I think a lot of people hold back out of fear. But we have to learn to overcome that fear to reach our full potential.

The J.R.R Tolkien Project said...

Your funny babe. I like that you like music so much, hence being married to a musician.

Lisa Guill said...

Thanks, Melissa! Fear has been a huge part of my life for so long, but I am stubborn like a badger, and I refuse to give in. Unfortunately, the art of procrastination is also something I am good at. Thankfully, my husband likes to poke and tease at this novel that has been in the works for years (yes, YOU Miro!) and though it is annoying, I am grateful for the finger in the back, slowly pushing me forward.