Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End is Just the Beginning

So I just realized that my last posting was the first of December and it is now the 31st. It has been a busy month and I won't really elaborate much further than these excuses: monstrous Christmas party my mom and I planned for 90 people, holiday craziness, a short-lived addiction to online poker and a need to just relax and do nothing.

It is safe to say that I have relaxed enough and I am ready to get serious and accomplish some goals in this year to come.

1. Prepare myself for the birth of my first child (mid-April!) through a daily routine of exercise (especially since I am not working) and healthy eating, and to start reading the many books borrowed to me about pregnancy and newborn care.

2. Learn how to overcome the need to spend money on frivolous, unnecessary things, especially since hubby and I are now living on a tight budget. Credit cards are not my money, just debt!!!

3. Master the art of home-baked bread so that hubby will actually eat it!

4. Complete my WIP and possibly even polish it enough to send in to an agent. I'm only a quarter of the way through with three and a half months before baby arrives, so I'm trying to stay realistic.

I think I'll leave the goals at that. I have to say that I actually like the start of a new year. I always feel this sense of hope; so much seems possible and even if my last year hasn't been the best, a new year is a reminder that every new day is a blessing, and an opportunity to make one's dreams happen.

My problem has always been finishing what I start. I know that getting published is pretty much out of my hands, but I can at least finish my book. That will be an accomplishment in itself.

Good luck to the rest of you in all of your endeavors! I hope that 2010 is a year of good things for everyone.

Happy New Year's Eve!

5 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Sounds like you've got an exciting year ahead! Best of luck with your goals...and a healthy, productive new year.

As for the bread, check out "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day". Excellent book, super-easy recipes for anything you might need, without much time involved. I love it. :-)

The J.R.R Tolkien Project said...

Well love, sounds like you got it all worked out. I think the little bambino is going to keep us busy. lol

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Welcome back to the blog :-) Congrats on the bun in the oven! I can't wait to "bake my own" haha.

Also: "Learn how to overcome the need to spend money on frivolous, unnecessary things" -- if you figure this out, please share the knowledge... My husband would be sooooo happy

Melissa Hurst said...

I'm with you on trying to finish the WIP. So many distractions...

Relax and take it easy and rest as much as you can. Once that baby gets here, you might not get a lot of sleep for a while:)

Have a Happy New Year!

Lisa Guill said...

Jamie - thanks for the tip on bread making! It is something I've been wanting to do for years, so now I just have to find the right recipes. I will definitely look at that book :)

Miro - As long as I have you, I know it will work out....and yes, we will be busy!

Sara - the little bun is already so much fun, kicking me and keeping life interesting. You will definitely love it! Not sure if my financial struggles will be overcome this year, but I think it takes slow steps...just saying no to something for starters...unless it is REALLY important, of course. Hehe.

Melissa - I'm counting the weeks as they fly by and I'm starting to freak out because next to nil writing is getting done and the baby will be here soon! Time to buckle down....