Monday, November 2, 2009

Onward and Forward!

It's official. I am currently on medical leave and will not be returning to work. I know I should feel relieved, but my head is still processing. It seems too good to be true! My doctor has not put a time frame on my leave (so I may run into some bad luck and end up on regular benefits with the expectations to find a new job as I enter my third trimester) but I am hoping and praying that everything will work out. I am DONE with stressing and look forward to starting this new chapter in my life.

The theme, 'Beginnings,' has been strongly on my mind, so I thought my postings for this week could focus on that.

I feel like I am very much at the beginning of my career as a writer. I may never be officially published, but that does not lessen the validation of the term, 'writer,' nor does it weaken my resolve to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys) and let the imagination take hold. I know I have so much to learn and an incredible need for improvement in my writing (ESPECIALLY when it comes to grammar). This does not daunt me. In fact, I say, "Bring it on!"

I currently have a novel in the works. I have titled it, 'Anymus,' and plan to seek representation once I feel it measures up to publishing standards. That part will be the tricky bit, but I am willing to work hard and receive as much constructive criticism as it takes to make it a truly stellar novel. I am hesitant to reveal the plot and theme, but I will reveal that it is a fantasy with a twist. Picture 'Heroes' meets 'Lord of the Rings' meets 'Rock Band' (yes, the video game).

I should mention that this novel breaks the beginner's publishing rules (epic fantasy series where the first novel is not stand-alone) and so I am taking a risk and following my heart. I should also mention that I am really stubborn and have never liked to go about things the way everyone else does.

So...the day has arrived and I can no longer procrastinate. I am not participating in NaNoWriMo by the conventional standards, but will be using the 50,000 word challenge to apply to my own novel. I have 25,000 words written with approximately 80,000 to go.

Tomorrow I will be posting the short story I entered for the SIWC writer's contest. It was not short-listed (but my poem was, yay!) and since I doubt I will enter it anywhere else, I would like to share it with you all and give you an idea of my writing 'voice'.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Congrats congrats! I hope your new chapter stays wonderful and that you get more done on that novel than you ever imagined. I wish you the best of luck!

I also look forward to your posts as you have more time, hopefully. :)

Jamie D. said...

Best of luck with your project - I'll be looking forward to hearing how it's going.

Everyone loves a story - can't wait to read yours. :-)

Lisa Guill said...

Thanks, Lady Glamis and Jamie D.!

I need all the encouragement I can get right now :)

I'm still procrastinating a bit, afraid to truly dig in and immerse myself in my story that has been stewing for years now, but like I mentioned before, no excuses!

I hope both of you are having a wonderful day!