Tuesday, November 17, 2009

In defense of my method

I'm sure I've mentioned before how my husband loves to tease me about this book that is 'always talked about but never gets written!'

I know. I've been working on this thing for a good three and a half years now, with only five chapters actually written. The thing is, my story is still being figured out. I've had to research (quantum physics, guns, musical science) and I've also been figuring out my 'voice.' I'm am pleased to say that after about half a dozen rough drafts of my first few chapters, I've finally found a style and voice I am pleased with. And I am confident that my prologue (rewritten at least a dozen times) could be sent in to an agent as is...that is how confident I am in it! Now I just have to write and polish the remaining 16 chapters.

My goal this week is to do a few more edits on the chapters I have already written and then start into the rest, hopefully knocking down at least three chapters a week. The good part about having three years to stew over my story is that I have worked out so many details, I can practically see it like a movie in my head. I also have a deeper understanding of each of my characters (two main characters and four secondary characters), and a chapter outline for the entire book.

After learning A LOT by reading blogs and books on writing techniques, I think that I've come a long way since I initially put pen to paper. I may not have a lot to show for my work in words, but the depth and quality of my writing has drastically improved and I have learned some important tips. Best of all, I am now surrounded by like-minded people (on the internet, that is!), and I love this process of growth as we all follow our dreams and do what drives us: write.

Now to the editing board.....

2 comments:

Melissa Hurst said...

I know exactly what you mean about seeing your story in your head like it's a movie! As I write, I can actually "see" the characters interact with each other. I spent most of this past summer brainstorming my story, coming up with character sketches, and writing a loose outline, so now all I have to do is sit and actually write the thing. And I'm loving every minute of it!

Lisa Guill said...

I love the brainstorming part!! I find it to be the most fun. It is when you have to actually articulate this 'movie' into words that I start to get nervous. Don't get me wrong, I love writing, it's just that it is SO MUCH WORK!
I shouldn't complain. I love it. I guess it is a love/hate relationship. Hmmm. This has inspired another blog post idea.

That is wonderful that you are loving the writing process you are at right now. I hope to be saying the same very shortly!!! Good luck with your story, and kudos to you for getting so much writing done with such a busy household :)