Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Desperately Seeking Zen

I have been living in my housecoat for the last two days, sans makeup, with a roll of toilet paper at my side. I hate being sick. I tried everything in my power not to get sick (handwashing to the point of dry, scaly, skin) and yet, here I am, stuck on the couch, praying that I only have a cold. All this hype about the deadly flu that kills pregnant women has gotten under my skin. Where, oh where, did my super-Zen state of mind go?

It probably didn't help that last week was stressful enough, with everyone at my work calling in sick and leaving us short-staffed, and then I was scheduled for an emergency ultrasound (I'm only thirteen weeks pregnant and already I've had TWO ultrasounds....and both times were probably completely unnecessary) which only added to the craziness. I'm looking forward to actually enjoying this pregnancy. Well, luckily, everyone is back at work (except for me) and my ultrasound results came back excellent, so my baby is probably inside me right now thinking, 'Would you just chill out already, mom!'

I think I will just be relieved when I'm done work for good--two weeks left!--and I can get away from all of the sick people. Besides the abundance of germs and viruses, I truly love the fall season...the changing colours...the leaves on the ground. And this year, I will actually get to see it (!) instead of being stuck in a windowless building with oodles of spiders and enough dust to build a replica of a snow-man. I won't have to live in constant darkness, getting to work just as the sun comes up and leaving when the sun has already sank below the horizon, not to mention the fact that I currently work in a darkroom, breathing in chemicals and keeping an eye out for the cousins of the spider I just squished. I can't wait to be unemployed!!

Granted, I know it is easy to fall into the trap of lethargy and sloth-like behaviour, so I have started a list of everything I want to accomplish. Mainly, I think a structured plan will be ideal: morning workout at the gym, housecleaning, blogging, working on WIP, afternoon walk for exercise and inspiration, more writing, making dinner. I really don't think I'll have time to be bored.

But, first, I need to get over this darn cold.

5 comments:

The Wimsy Room said...

oh my darling!
I know the feeling entirely... ok just leave out the pregger bits and I get it 100%.
two things that have substantially increased my inner zen.
1) www.flylady.net
2) embrassing my inner sloth.

LOVE YOU! can't wait for the two weeks to be up and for you to feel better.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I hope it's just a cold, too! I remember wanting to quit my job so badly when I was close to due with my daughter. Instead of cold season, though, it was about 102 degrees outside every day. Not fun when you're pregnant. At all. No matter what time of year, it can be a pain. Try to enjoy it though. It goes fast. :)

My three year old is currently so hyper and full of energy I feel like I'm chasing a train all day. Whoever thinks being a stay at home mom is easy is selling something. Hah.

Melissa Hurst said...

I know how you feel. I had to work full time during my second and third pregnancies and I hated it. Now I get to stay home with number three and I love it. Hope your pregnancy goes well.

Lisa Guill said...

I am definitely going to try and enjoy my pregnancy more :)

I don't know what I would find worse. Cold and flu season or crazy hot weather. Hmmmm. Neither sounds appealing to me. Well, I'm trying to eat super healthy and get lots of rest. Its not so difficult now, but come Christmas time, I may have a hard time avoiding all of the sugary goodness. Mmmmm. Sugary goodness, how I miss you right now!

Hehe.

I love hearing feedback from all of you lovely moms. It is encouraging to know that others have gone through the same situations, and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

And my dear nou kontan, I love you too, and I can't wait to have coffee with you sometime soon :)

Elana Johnson said...

Sounds like a great plan!