Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A little bit of progress

So my goal of writing 1500 words a day was a bit of wishful thinking, but I am pleased to report that I was able to get in 600 words yesterday. It has been a bit difficult to find a regular routine so far with the new baby, so I am trying to write whenever I get snatches of free time. Some days are better than others, like yesterday, when I was able to do a load of laundry, go for an hour-long walk, do the dishes (we don't have a dishwasher in the new place!), make dinner, and get in a bit of writing. I have set a goal of having my rough draft complete by the end of July, which is perfectly reasonable, even with my new responsibilities as a mom. I may be asking my husband for two nights a week where I can lock myself in our room while he takes care of the baby. So far she likes to fuss from dinner time to midnight, or sometimes later.

I find it a bit interesting that I had all this free time to write before the baby arrived, and I could not make myself commit to it, and now that I barely have a spare second in the day, writing is all I can think about.

Well, this is a short post because I need to get writing!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day :)

3 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Congratulations on making progress! Sad, isn't it, that often the busier we are, the more we can "find time" to do. An object in motion, stays in motion... ;-)

Good luck with today's words!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Well this sounds awfully familiar...!

It's fun to see someone else go through these stages, as I did. It's nice to see I'm not alone! I NEVER have a regular routine for writing now that I have my daughter. I write when I can, blog when I can, and in the rest of the time is for her and my husband and the cleaning or cooking.

I think it's great that your attitude is remaining so positive! That's the key, for sure, and I wish you luck in keeping up with the words. I've been writing a lot lately, and I owe it to my daughter finally reaching a point where she entertains herself for hours at a time. I just can't wait for her to go to school one day... :)

Lisa Guill said...

Well, I've averaged about 600 words a day this week, which is less than I would like to see, but at least it is something!! At this point, I'm just glad to see some progress. I agree with what you said, Jamie, about an object in motion staying in motion. It is so true.

It is also wonderful to know that others are going/have gone through this same situation. Being a mom and a writer is definitely hard, but it is great to have a passion and a hobby. I need something to be passionate about, something that lets me daydream.

I look forward to when my daughter gets into a more regular routine (is it possible?) and I can get a few solid hours of writing in. Right now I am just getting snippets down throughout the day.

I think you guys are amazing for accomplishing so much. From what I can see, you both have lots on your plates, and still achieve your writing goals. I aspire to do the same :)