Monday, February 15, 2010

Olympic Inspiration

I have never really paid much attention to the Olympics. I don't mean to downplay the hard work and self-sacrifice that the athletes endure in order to compete, I just care more for the arts than for sports, and I think that the billions of dollars spent on a two-week event could be put to better use.

That being said, I've given them a little more thought this year, mainly because I am only an hour out of Vancouver, where the current Olympics are taking place as I write this blog.

While watching the opening ceremonies, I was struck with a bit of inspiration for my current WIP. I am writing a trilogy (I know, bad for a first time author) and though I have figured out the main plot for my first novel, I hadn't given much thought to the rest. Last Friday, while watching the hour-long march of athletes from every single competing country make their way around B.C. Place, I had a 'eureka!' moment. I don't want to say much (because I'm still nervous about giving away too much of my story idea online), but the thought of a competition of another sorts, one that gives prestige to skills that are not sports-related, fits perfectly with my story.

Inspiration comes in a variety of forms. My favourite is when you aren't even looking for it and it smacks you in the face :)

Here's to more face-smacking, 'eureka' moments!

1 comment:

Jonathon Arntson said...

When I see things like the Olympic ceremonies, I cannot help but think of THE HUNGER GAMES! I'm not entirely sure why.