Thursday, January 14, 2010

Small Accomplishments

So...I didn't quite write 1500 words a day this week, but I managed another 4000 and as of ten minutes ago, finished chapter five. Yay!! I had already written this chapter (it was actually two chapters) about a year ago but then went back and started to revise everything. That's the perfectionist in me. But, things are much better in this new draft and I'm finding that my writing is a lot more focused.

One word to describe my new method: succinct. It is true that less is more. I used so many unnecessary words before realizing that the extra weight was bogging my story down. Now things move more swiftly, and in cutting out the flowery adverbs and adjectives, I think I actually sound more professional in my writing.

Ok, so this means...on to unchartered territory. Things may get tricky, as I am now writing from scratch (no more revisions to hide behind) but this is also where the story really takes off.

Right now I'm going to take a well-deserved break and play some online poker.

5 comments:

Melissa Hurst said...

Congratulations on the word count! Every word does make a difference:)

Isn't it great to notice how much better your writing gets the longer you stick with it? I cringe when I look back at the first few chapters in my WIP, but I can definitely tell my writing is improving. Good luck with your WIP!

Lisa Guill said...

Thanks Melissa!

I also cringe when I remember my original first few drafts. Terrible! Long and wordy...boring.

It is nice to see improvement, isn't it?!

Jonathon Arntson said...

I am realizing, more and more, that word count is not that important. Instead, I am starting to use parts of the story as milestones. I use MS Word, when I first started typing, word count meant everything to me. When I got to six thousand words in my WIP, I had a celebration. Then, I noticed, the story is still in it's beginning, there's so much work to be done.
While I think celebrating the little things can help in the everyday, the long-term goals feel much better accomplished when they are related to the plot and not word count.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Good job on the progress!

Lisa Guill said...

I agree, Jonathon, and I know that finally getting to write scenes that I have been thinking about for ages will be much more exciting than reaching a certain amount of words.
Though, I definitely will do a little dance when I reach the halfway point!

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement :)