Monday, September 14, 2009

Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself...

I have a confession. My name isn't really Morgan Xavier. You see, when I started this blog, I wasn't keen on using my real name, especially since it is kind of boring and most people can't seem to pronounce it, anyway. I tried to think of a pen name--and if I ever get the chance to be published, I am going to BEG for a pen name--but nothing seemed cool enough, so I ended up using the name of the main character in my novel. She is actually based on me (which annoyed my husband when he read the first few chapters of my rough draft, but he's a bit of a literary snob, and NOTHING can measure up to the great Tolkien, and besides an affinity for mushrooms, I don't quite resemble anything hobbit-like) so it wasn't a far stretch. Thus, I became Morgan Xavier. But I would like to share my real name with you, since I feel that I at least owe you all that much.

Ahem. I am really just Lisa. So there you have it. Oh, and another small confession. That picture of me is at least seven years old. I just really like it. And it really fits this post because it was taken back when I was the confused and naive girl that Morgan is based of off. Plus, my hair was really cool back then. Now it just sits and gets frizzier every day, forgetting that it used to have zest and body and curly goodness. Sigh.

So now that I've introduced the REAL me, I will share a bit of what I am facing in my life right now, because it seems that I am in the middle of quite the transition period, and quite frankly, it terrifies me. I am 28, going on two and a half years of marriage, a little plumper than I am comfortable with (another reason I showed you that old picture), newly pregnant, and about to be laid off from my job of four years. All in all, I am at the beginning of a new chapter in my life, and if I wasn't so nauseous and exhausted from morning sickness, I would probably be more excited.

My husband and I are ecstatic that we are going to be having our first child (ok, he's ecstatic, I'm a little grumpy and bloated), and we spend hours talking about our future, and our dreams and aspirations for our family. The thing is, we are both artists at heart, lacking any sort of formal education, and as our family expands, we are trying to be realistic in our goals. My hubby is a wonderfully talented singer-songwriter by night, and an apprentice signmaker by day. He dreams of being paid to do what he loves, but knows that the music industry is one tough cookie. Likewise, I have spent years trying to find my niche, first as a missionary, then a foster care worker, then as a drywaller, then a student, until I landed my current job as an assistant at an x-ray clinic. All the while, my dreams simmered under the surface, begging to be released, but I never believed that writing was something I was truly capable of. It was my hubby that encouraged me to try, and so here I am, a couple years into my goal, a manuscript in the works, and no idea of what I will do when my maternity/EI runs out.

I wonder if getting laid off from the clinic is actually a blessing in disguise. Sure, it means that money is going to be really tight for the next year or so, but now I will actually have TIME...that precious commodity that will allow me to write and follow through on my goal. I don't want to bank on winning the jackpot by writing that super-awesome novel that will land me a brand new career as a published author, but it is sure nice to dream, isn't it? I'm trying to be positive and see my impending layoff as a chance for something better instead of panicking and wondering what the heck I am going to do next. So I take it one day at a time, keeping my dreams and goals firmly in mind, finding a balance between being realistic and optimistic. Maybe writing will only ever be a hobby. The roles of wife, mom, and friend seem fulfilling enough to me. And if I finish my novel, only to have it sit in a drawer, unwanted by any agent or publisher, I will still feel a deep sense of accomplishment knowing that I reached my goal.

So, with five out of twenty chapters written, I look with delight towards this fall season, hoping that as my belly begins to expand, so will the pages of my novel. And as Morgan embarks on an amazing journey, so will I. Though her adventure is filled with monsters and magic and rave-loving fairies, the latter of which, I kind of wish were real.

7 comments:

Laura Martone said...

Yahoo! The veil came off... it's nice to meet you, ahem, Lisa. And I appreciate this post... although I'm not pregnant, and it's been nine years since I had a "real" job, I feel as though I'm in a transitional phase, too. I was just accepted into the Society of American Travel Writers, and I'm starting to think that THAT'S what I should focus on. Because it's easier to see myself as a travel writer (given the credits I already have) than to take a chance at being a novelist.

On the other hand, writing fiction is a calling I've felt since I was a little girl - and it's not going anywhere. Besides, I've already finished my novel - it's just the revision process that might kill me.

Congrats again on being a soon-to-be mama... and I'm sorry about the job situation. Although, as you said, perhaps there is a silver lining. Take advantage of the time off and focus on your writing (when you're not decorating the baby's room, that is)!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, this is absolutely wonderful! I can't tell you how much I smiled as I read through your post. It's wonderful to know your real name and more about you.

You are close to my age, and you're having a similar experience to me. I quit my job 3 months early to have my little girl. I was so excited to stay at home, but worried to death how we'd pay for everything. And now, three years later, my husband just lost his job, and I'm once again wondering how we're going to pay for everything. Life's like that. Yeah.

You seem to have a great attitude! I know how tough pregnancy can be, and how tough being a mom is. It's insane most days. Just don't push yourself to write after you have the baby. Lack of sleep can just about kill you. It took me months and months before I felt even remotely like myself again. So I hope you get a lot of writing done before your little one comes!

Maybe you'll be super-Lisa and keep writing right after the baby's born. That would be awesome. :)

Oh, and my husband is an actor. We're both artists, too. I understand exactly where you're coming form on that front.

Jamie D. said...

It's nice to meet the "real you", Lisa. :-) Thanks for sharing more of yourself with us! Sounds like you're going through some scary and exciting times all at once, but you'll get through it, and be stronger and happier on the other side (at least that's how it always *seems* to work out). Keep your chin up, keep hoping and dreaming, and keep writing. I'll look forward to hearing about more of your journey (and Morgan's too). :-)

Lisa Guill said...

Laura - congrats on your acceptance into the SATW. Are you able to work on both avenues of writing, or do you feel you only have time to focus on one? The fact that you have already written an entire novel is amazing, and my encouragement to you is to push through the revisions because I'm sure the finished product will be awesome!

Lady Glamis - I'm glad I could make you smile :) I totally get where you're coming from...my husband lost his job last year, and even though he managed to find something else, we've struggled to make ends meet ever since. I've already spent three months stressing and now I've reached the zen stage, like the guy from 'Office Space.'

I hope things work out for your family, and that your husband is able to find some more work.

My goal is to finish my novel before baby arrives, which is a realistic goal, especially if I'm not working. I'm due mid-
April so that gives me a good six months to get the job done. I'm excited for the opportunity to see my goal realized!

Jamie D. - Thanks for the encouragement! I agree that things always seem to work out and I know that it will probably require a lot of effort and discipline, but I finally feel ready to step up to the plate. Plus, my husband is merciless in his teasing ("When are you going to get past the first few chapters?" "You're going to be in a retirement home by the time you get that thing written!" "Why don't you stop blogging and get writing!"). I will finish that darn novel, even if only to prove to him that I AM capable. Hehe. But I love him for it :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Morgan, good luck with your writing! It's a great goal, that's for sure. I hope I can meet a Zen spot sometime. It sounds nice!

Laura Martone said...

Hi, Lisa! Thanks for the congrats, but, no, I don't intend on focusing on one or the other. Crazy as it sounds, I'm planning to continue working simultaneously on my travel writing and my novel revision. I can't give up either of them - just have to master the art of balance. It's an ongoing process, as I'm sure you can relate to. Anyhoo, thanks for encouraging me to push through the revisions and good luck with your own juggling act!

A misinterpreted wave said...

I totally understand you need to use another name - I have done the same and am definitley not ready to reveal, lame I know.

Congrats on your pregnancy. My motto with that one (and all the stuff afterwards) was 'This too shall pass'. I was so sick that I totally get where you're coming from, it's no fun at all.

Easy said that done - but try not to stress about the job - you are about to meet the best person in the WHOLE, WIDE WORLD.

Looking forward to reading more, and nice to meet you Lisa - I'm Chris :)

Hmmmm, my word verification is 'plato' - is that a sign?