Monday, February 1, 2010

Distractions, distractions, you enemy of writers!

I've been a bit absent from the blogosphere this last week or so. A bout with the stomach flu kind of put me out of commission for a few days, leaving me particularly unmotivated to write or blog or really do much of anything--except watch movies. It has been ten years since I have shared such intimacy with the toilet bowl (thank goodness I cleaned it that morning!) and I hope another good ten years goes by before we are forced to endure each other's company again. Enough said on that front :)

My writing progress has staled but I am still stubbornly trying to eke out whatever I can manage before the baby arrives. Ten weeks to go and fifteen chapters to write!

Today I planned to finish a chapter, which would not have been unreasonable had I been fine with sitting on my rump and ignoring the phone, but I guess I had an abundance of energy. Making up for the time I spent on my rump watching movies while sick. So...I dropped hubby off at work and went to the gym for an aquafit class for an hour then scooted over to see my doctor for a regularly scheduled appointment. I've hit 30 weeks and everything looks good (yay, no gestational diabetes or Factor Five blood disorder!). By then it was practically lunch so I picked up hubby, fed him, shipped him back to work, then sat down for a good four hours of writing!

Ha!

My mom called, we chatted, then she mentioned they were going to the pool to swim. I thought, 'hey, I should be keeping active, a trip to the pool sounds great!' so I went along. When I returned home I still would have had at least two hours to write. Then my friend called and invited me to go to the mall to look at baby stuff. How could I resist? We got back at five, just in time for hubby's return home from work and of course I now had to make dinner. Then we watched a movie (we don't have cable). After the movie, hubby decided to read 'The Hobbit.' I decided to write. I stared at my computer screen then closed the half-finished chapter and decided to blog.

I guess I shall write tomorrow.

5 comments:

The J.R.R Tolkien Project said...

I believe you will write someday. It might be a little late to think about doing a 3 book epic now with a baby due in 10 weeks though.
I still think you'll get there.

Melissa Hurst said...

LOL! Tell me about the distractions. I can think of a million other things that I "have" to do right when I should be writing. And that's why I'm still not finished with my first draft!

Essential Living said...

HI !!

Great Blog...i was over in Nathans "where do you live" thread, when I saw your response....Im in Hope...it was cool to see another writer so close in my neck of the woods...

I thought I would stop in and say hello... Congratulations on the baby, and best of luck with the writing....i totally know how easy it is to get distracted...i just finished my second novel, and Im no throwing myself into the revision process which is both blessing and a curse...

Take Care.... :D
TR

Lisa Guill said...

Miro - Haha, who said I was trying to write all three books before baby gets here?! Finishing the first is all I can manage, and that is if I get my bum in gear and stop playing online poker :)

Melissa - I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this!

T.R. - Great to hear from you!!! That Bransford blog is popular, hey? His was the first blog I discovered (before I knew what blogging really was) and soon after I started this one, though I'm not as consistent with my posts as I'd like to be :)

Thanks for the congrats on upcoming baby...I'm hoping I can still keep writing once she is here.

Finished two novels, wow! You have me beat. I'm still plugging away at the first. Good luck with your revisions! I actually kind of like them...it is the first draft I don't like as much.

Thanks for stopping by!

Elana Johnson said...

Oh, I feel this deep in my soul. But it's good to live too. You can always write after life, you know? That's my philosophy anyway. Hope you find time today!